Imagine petting a dog that has a long list of traits that interest you, except for a single trait. Also imagine that the single trait which your pet lacks is one of paramount importance, what would you do? Without any doubt, you will be in dire need of a similar dog with the very trait that is lacking. A perfect example of a dog that is loved by a good number of people is a golden retriever. Today, it is one of the most popular dog breeds that are known today. This is mainly because of the numerous advantages that are associated with it. It has a long list of traits that separate it from other dog breeds that exist today. For example, it has a remarkable friendly temperament and is quite playful. This is a pet to own if you want a dog to play with whenever you are bored. The dog is also one of the most loyal dog breeds that are known today.
But, the golden retriever is often much larger than what most dog owners want. A good number of dog fanatics would wish that the dog were actually smaller than it is really is. Perhaps you are also wondering whether a smaller size of this dog actually exists. The simple fact is that a miniature size of this dog breed is in existence. Here is a look at some of the major traits of this amazing dog breed.
What is a miniature golden retriever?
This is an interesting question that is asked by most people. In the eyes of most dog fanatics, a miniature golden retriever is probably golden retriever in a smaller size. But, this is not 100 % true. There is more to the miniature golden retriever than just the size. They are a cross mix of numerous dog breeds. Therefore, they differ from the golden retriever in several ways other than the size. Therefore, the dogs are selected in a special manner in order to produce golden retrievers with desirable properties.
The dog breeds that are commonly crossed to produce the miniature golden retriever are the poodles and golden retrievers. This is the best combination for purposes of producing golden retrievers that have the right temperament and behavior among other wonderful traits. In some cases, cocker spaniels are sometimes crossed with the golden retriever to form the miniature golden retriever. But, this combination is not very common since some desirable properties are lost. The overall genetic constitution of the hybrid golden retriever is supposed to range between 50 and 75 %. This means that around 25 % of the genes are new traits acquired from the breed that has been crossed with. For example, a hybrid golden retriever that has been produced following the crossing of a poodle and a golden retriever; is supposed to have around 25 % of the genes from a poodle and the remaining 75 % of the genes from the golden retriever.
When talking about a dog breed, it is always important to take into account the official recognition. Only the dog breeds that are officially recognized by the various reputable clubs are supposed to be considered as official breeds. In the US, the club whose list of dog breeds is considered official is the Designer Dogs’ Kennel Club and the American Kennel Club.
The individuals who breed this dog are responsible for making sure that it becomes recognized around by the major clubs in the US. It is hoped that more people can have a chance to own the breed.